Immediately assuming its position as the clear leader in the full-size multipurpose SxS category, Honda’s Pioneer 1000 is powered by a purpose-built inline, twin-cylinder, Unicam 999cc engine, with a High/Low dual-range subtransmission that delivers the power and helps access the traction you need and open or locked front and rear differentials that help prevent you from unnecessarily tearing up delicate fields or surfaces while if you look closer, and you’ll find even more difference-making technology. Like the standard-equipment fully-automatic six-speed Dual Clutch Transmission and a driveline that lets you choose 2- or 4-wheel drive.
The Talon R shines in high-speed driving associated with open terrain found throughout the country, including deserts, salt flats and pastures. Suspension design and components are set up for big air and hitting obstacles at velocity. For wide-open adventurists, the Talon R is ready for anything the horizon offers.
The 999cc four-valve Unicam® parallel-twin engine is a performance-tuned version of the platform from the durable Pioneer 1000 multipurpose side-byside and CRF1000L Africa Twin adventure motorcycle. Developed in Japan by Honda Motor, and produced at the Kumamoto plant, the water-cooled engine features a 270 degree crossplane crankshaft.
• 999cc Unicam® parallel-twin engine, performance-tuned for strong torque and linear power delivery
• 6-speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) with high-low sub-transmission and automatic and manual modes
• Ignition Feedback Control for faster gear changes
• Piston oil jets for cool engine temperature and engine longevity
• Oversized radiator and fan and tuned intake and exhaust for performance and sound quality
The Talon feature a frame and suspension components that were engineered and developed at Honda R&D America’s Raymond, Ohio, campus, for a plush ride, maximum ground clearance and precise steering response. A 44% front-end weight bias is ideal for handling and a balanced feel as well as automotive-industry design concepts that bring a new level of engineering to the category. The Talon 1000Rs suspension and wheelbase are intended to emphasize high-speed tracking and large bump absorption; suitable for a broad range of terrain types.
The all-new, one-piece frame was designed and developed incorporating Honda’s vast off-road design knowledge to achieve optimum handling properties by maintaining appropriate levels of stiffness and compliance to retain consistent geometry even when pushed under the hardest loads. As a result, the vehicle behaves and responds predictability for a more controlled, confidence-inspiring ride. In addition, the frame undergoes a state-of-the-art process that includes an e-coat dip, oven baking, powdercoat spraying, and another oven bake, all of which guarantee the quality of the paint and ensure the rust-prevention needs are met.
• Double-wishbone front suspension, Fox Podium 2.5 shocks with Quick Switch 3; 449 mm of travel
• 4+ Link trailing-arm rear suspension with toe link, Fox Podium 2.5 shocks with Quick Switch 3; 510mm of travel
• 44% front weight bias for balanced handling